Hi there,

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 Ian Eiloart wrote:

> RFC2821 defines the behaviour of an MTA, and anything that breaks
> the standard can't expect to deliver email. That's our policy here.

Hehe, I bet you'd change that policy pretty sharpish if the people
sending the emails wanted to give you money!

I would like to take your unbending approach, but unfortunately while
people like macCom and Microdozey completely mess up their servers
(not always the same way, and not consistently across all the servers)
and many of our customer use them because they don't know any better,
then we have to compromise.  I'd suggest you can tolerate a little
compromise as long as you're getting something accomplished.  Sure
it's a pain, but not as much of a pain as the very nearly 46,000 /24
networks that we're currently firewalling for (trying to) send spam,
not to mention the many hundreds of far bigger networks which we drop
for that and more serious offences, like being Romanian.  Our firewall
rules alone stop at least 95% of the crap, leaving things like milters
and Perl with much less work to do, and much less sludge in the logs,
so administrators have more time for the personal touch - compromises,
for example - and making sure that the virus databases are effective.

I think what I'm trying to say is that you need some human involvement
in all this, or the risk of throwing out the baby with the bathwater is
substantially increased.

--

73,
Ged.