Let's say you have a zip file. How do you expect ClamAV to scan it packet by
packet?  Or any other data really.  I think there are very few wild
signatures in database that are allowed to match any position anywhere in a
"file".  Only reliable way is to scan a complete file, so it knows the
length and can decode it properly etc.

The now abandoned HAVP proxy scanner does many tricks (filesystem mandatory
locking to "pseudo-stream" files into clamav, zip header prefetch etc) to
achieve near realtime scanning for large files and reduce "user hanging" to
a minimum.  I guess this is what you are after, but ICAP can't achieve such
trickery.