On 08/07/15 17:33, Rafael Ferreira wrote:
> Well, the progress you see is likely to be transfer, not processing, time
> since that’s where most time is going to be spent for a sizable file anyways
> (under normal circumstances) so I doubt clamd is your main latency source
> here.
? I said clam was the only one that performed well - not the other way
around! :-)

> Can you elaborate on your setup a bit? Is the ICAP proxy in-line to your
> users or alongside another caching proxy like squid?

You can't use ICAP inline - it's always used in conjunction with a proxy
server. We use squid. We used to use
"client->squid->havp->(clam|sophie)->Internet" with great success, but
havp is dead and showing it's age (some of the newer HTTP options
confuse it) and so we want to move to ICAP, primarily because it
involves the least number of changes (ie it's either that or throw away
squid entirely)

c-icap using clam seems to be able to "stream": a large download starts
flowing to the client very quickly (which is what havp as an "AV proxy"
did really well too) - whereas all the commercial ones I've tried seem
to effectively block until the content is passed to ICAP, so it can run
AV over the file in it's entirety and then throws it at the client. End
result is wigged out users. (BTW: they don't totally block - but they
"trickle" at such an absurd rate that they might as well have blocked)

I must say all the commercial ICAP products are always part of a "full"
proxy server - so I wonder if they actually work fine if you use their
proprietary product instead of what I'm trying to do (ie maybe this is a
marketing trick). I find it hard to believe anyone would want to buy
these products as they stand. You know people: they want security with
*no* overhead/inconvenience ;-)

I'm also aware of the consequence of not scanning the full file in
advance - it could miss something - but compromise is acceptable: a
product that scans in streamed chunks, pushing each finished piece to
the client, and then at the end is able to do the "proper scan" can
still drop the last chunk - breaking the webpage (and therefore
corrupting malware executables or zip files - which are 90% of the
baddies) and saving the client. If the only "proper" solution is to
block and scan the entire webpage (I keep using that phrase because
99.999% of ICAP queries are of webpages) before handing anything to the
client, well that would explain why not enough organizations do AV
content filtering of web traffic: their IT groups got lynched when they
tried to implement it ;-)

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Corporate Information Security Manager, Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +1 408 481 8171