Our Comcast account in in MA and is not a business account (which I
presume would cost more). My view is that Comcast tech support is on
the level of "try restarting your modem" or "try restarting Windows",
so I doubt asking about transparent caching would get very far.

I don't think it's possible to point any ClamAV machine(s) at another
Cloudflare server, as the 5 IP addresses are Anycast addresses, so they
are routed below the IP layer. (Does anyone know why there are 5 IPs?
Wouldn't one do?)

When I originally set up ClamAV, I didn't do any detailed cost/benefit
analysis: the cvds were *much* smaller, and there were no details about
what Scripted Update actually did (e.g., no size specs).

I think a local HTTP proxy wouldn't be worth the effort (nothing else
needs one), and internal replication via rsync would also require extra
effort (on my part). So for now, at least, I'll just switch to having
each ClamAV machine update directly from Cloudflare.

-pk