In light of The Delays, and the fact that CVDs are so much bigger than
CDIFFs, I have changed our ClamAVs to use Scripted Update (CDIFFs) and
thus fetch directly from database.clamav.net.

We currently have fewer than a half-dozen machines on our LAN, which
share a single Comcast dynamic IP address (and hit Cloudflare's BOS) and
one remote machine -- our virtual (cloud) Web server, which has static
IPs (and hits Cloudflare's IAD).

They all do DNS TXT queries 3-5 times per hour, and *only* if that says
there are new CDIFFs do they invoke freshclam. As before, this is all
based on cron, and the times are staggered to avoid peaking.

So far, we have seen none of the dreaded Delays. And since the CDIFFs
should be "immune" to cache misbehavior, we don't expect to.

Importantly, using Scripted Update (CDIFFs and thus CLDs) seems to work
OK with HAVP: but it sort of has to since HAVP just uses libclamav to
(re)load the database. (HAVP can also work with other AV engines, and
they all load their databases however *they* please.)

This is not as elegant as locally mirroring the updates, and uses a bit
more Cloudflare bandwidth (although still less in steady state than
using CVDs). I had considered using Polipo as a RAM-only HTTP proxy just
for this, but that would put more load on our gateway machine, and take
up more of my time, so I will defer it until later. (Much later.)

-pk

P.S. Thanks to Steve Basford for suggesting Polipo.