I've revised and enhanced the strategy, based upon the feedback here. I think it is a nice compromise.

Docs (see update section at the top)

https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/b4-TTcvBSr3RAZeJe5aVNr/Enhanced_Primitive_Support

Code:

http://github.com/richhickey/clojure/commit/c79d28775e06b196ae1426f6c1446d00b621d2e1

Thanks to all for the feedback, keep it coming!

Rich

On Jun 17, 2010, at 4:13 PM, Rich Hickey wrote:

I've been doing some work to enhance the performance, and unify the
semantics, of primitives, in three branches. I've started to document
this work here:

https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/clojure/Enhanced_Primitive_Support

Feedback welcome,

Rich