On Jun 28, 2010, at 2:26 PM, cageface wrote:
> So I wonder how much making the first few baby steps easier is really
> going to help the uptake of Clojure. I have to imagine that the kind
> of person that can't figure out  a CLASSPATH is going to have his head
> explode when he has to figure out how to restructure all his
> iterations in terms of loop/recur.

FWIW, for THIS newbie the core language issues are not a problem at all, they
are a joy. I'm a long time lisper and I've been teaching lisp and functional
programming for a long time. For me and many of my students loop/recur is fine,
and all of the other features of the core language are natural and beautiful.
It's setting up a working environment (reliably, with a clojure-aware editor
and CLASSPATHs handled correctly etc.) that makes MY head explode -- well, not
quite explode, but I've been close to having smoke pour out of my ears and I've
only been saved by a long-ago student who happens to be a Clojurian who has
also been very generous with his time (hi Chas!). My problems are not with FP
or with other fancy Clojure features (e.g. I love the concurrency and just
bought a 48 core node for this alone!), but the installation issues are a big
pain for me and some of the Java world assumptions about how projects should be
set up are also unfamiliar and confusing at first.

I know this is just one data point (or maybe a cluster if you count my
students), but it's wrong to assume that everyone who wants to start with
Clojure, and everyone who is capable of dealing with its core language
features, will know how to deal with CLASSPATH or have experience with git or
build tools or anything else.

BTW what I'm currently planning to teach with in the fall (to students who will
have at least one programming course under their belts but possibly none in
Java), is NetBeans with Enclojure.

 -Lee

School of Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspec...@hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438

Check out Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines:
http://www.springer.com/10710 - http://gpemjournal.blogspot.com/