On Jun 28, 2010, at 5:46 PM, cageface wrote:

> I have to agree with this. I wouldn't dream of giving somebody Clojure
> as a first language. If I really wanted to teach an s-expr language as
> a first language I'd use one of the nice integrated scheme
> environments. I don't think the goals of making Clojure a little
> easier to start with and keeping it a "professional" language are
> necessarily totally at odds but efforts to build something like
> Processing or even DrScheme on it seem misdirected.

Why use Scheme when Clojure is so much nicer in so many respects?

I could teach almost exactly the same stuff that I'd teach in a Scheme-based
intro course in Clojure instead. I wouldn't get to a lot of Clojure's more
interesting features but all of the basic stuff I'd cover would be almost
identical, and for some things (e.g. things using vectors and maps) it would
make life quite a bit easier.

Creating a programming environment that makes this possible -- basically just
making it a little easier to download, install, and get started with something
along the lines of NetBeans/Enclojure -- wouldn't hurt any power users or
anyone else. It would just permit a wider range of users to get started with
less effort.

 -Lee

School of Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspec...@hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438

Check out Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines:
http://www.springer.com/10710 - http://gpemjournal.blogspot.com/