> The API already contains `find` and `contains?`, which are woefully
> misleading names. That's not a big deal: I'm *terrible* at naming. I tell
> people that all the time. I've learned to accept it. It doesn't detract from
> my wonderfulness. It doesn't detract from the underlying wonderfulness of the
> software I produce. It just means I have to rethink and revise names,
> especially after other people use them and say "WTF??".
>
> It's a shame it's too late to do that for `find` and `contains?`.
> Fortunately, additions are easier than changes.

This argument supports my position, not yours. It is much easier to revise
names in an incubator library, rather than experimenting in core.

> I really think `def-` would be a good gesture, a minor but emblematic step on
> the way to widespread acceptance of Clojure, which (for my sake) I really,
> really, really hope for.

I don't understand how a casual approach to adding things to core would be a
good gesture to anybody.  Can you send me a list of languages that add features
to core after this level of discussion (and without clear agreement) because
some people find them useful?  I am not aware of any.

To restate my earlier point:  "Why isn't this in core?" and "Why isn't this
conveniently available to me?" are very different questions. If you have a
problem that can be trivially solved outside of core, why are you in such a
hurry to change core? Making unnecessary changes at the bottom strikes me as
bad design and bad stewardship.

Here's a thought experiment:  There is a ton of useful stuff in my .emacs file.
 I can think of a few dozen things in my .emacs file that are in the "def-"
category for me, e.g. I like them, and I want them around always, and
immediately when I launch. So those things are core to me. What do you think
would happen if I joined the emacs dev list, picked my very favorite
convenience, and said "please add this to emacs core?" Emacs doesn't work that
way. It is modular, and people solve problems in *libraries*. Sometimes large
groups of people agree about certain things. Even then you often get awesome
tools like the emacs starter kit *without* changes to emacs core.

The clojure.core namespace evolves at the speed of design, not at the speed of
itch-scratching. I think this is a fundamental value.

Stu