> I don't understand your comment about "polluting" the language core.  Do you
> really think people are going to use def- for some other purpose?  If you
> don't, then it is not pollution.

Fair enough. Maybe pollution wasn't the best word. Introducing a combinatorial
set of names is a [some other word for bad thing] for core, even if we agree
what the names mean.

> I think the big issue here is

I think that the big issue here is that we do not agree on how careful the dev
team should be about adding things to core. I think we should be quite careful.
The name is "core" not "kitchen-sink".  If anything, core is already too big.

> that certain functions in Clojure core *imply* the existence of other certain
> functions in the core.  When they don't exist, it comes as a surprise.
> Surprise is bad.

Agreed, but this is how you argue for a complete set, not for a convenient
subset. No one seems to be asking for defmacro-, even though core itself
defines a private macro.

> defn- implies the existence of def-

Then let us deprecate defn-.

> The other example that immediately leaps to mind is that the family of
> get-in, get, and update-in implies the existence of update.  It is rather
> startling to me that update does not exist in the core.

This is a good question. I don't know why I never noticed its absence. Have
other people missed this?

Stu