Phil:
I now can't get the behavior to reproduce either. I have no idea what kind of dumb mistake I was making in the first place, and I'm very sorry to have wasted your time. (For what it's worth, both dependency-vector versions work in my reproduction attempts -- but you probably already knew that they would!)
  --Larry