On Friday, May 16, 2014 12:46:10 PM UTC-5, squeegee wrote:

> On May 16, 2014, at 1:23 PM, Mars0i <mars...@logical.net <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
> OK, but "seq" implies that sets aren't appropriate, but as long as I don't
> care about order, they may be perfectly fine.
>

> Good point. Technically kw-seq is too narrow because you probably have no
> need to restrict your argument to seqs. The distinction is often blurred
> because many Clojure functions that operate on seqs also directly or
> indirectly call “seq” on their argument. Any coll that’s “seqable” will
> also work.
>
> I think looking at the word kew-seq as an argument name, I would expect to
> be able to pass in colls that are not seqs but are seqable including vector
> and set.
>
> Revising my earlier thought:
>
> I think I’d use “kws” or “keywords” in that case. I’d expect a seq or
> seqable coll whose items are keywords.

So there really isn't a term for the category I have in mind, but your
point, I take it, is that "seq" can do the job, even for sets, despite
their lack of order, since they are things that will take on an order when
needed.

(Keyword was just an illustration.  I had a more general question in mind.
You really can pass in a map to anything that will take seqs, vectors, and
sets, in general, but sometimes it's kind of a bizarre thing to do, and
it's worth conveying that to users (even when the only user is oneself).)

I still would kind of like a special term .... If no one has one already, I
could try to make one up.  Maybe the difference between maps and vectors is
that, although they both have keys, it's easier to lose vector keys (as in
the examples with the map function):  "de-keyable", "dekeyed",
"de-pair-able"?  I don't think this is going to help make my docstrings
clearer.