Most of that change appears to be just the number of spaces after a
period.  I prefer two which is why the original message was that way.
Ah fair enough, I assumed the two spaces was a typo and was meant to be just one space. Yes essentially the third patch just replaces the two spaces with one, so it can be just ignored in this case.

IIRC we previously concluded that the individual callers don't have to
deal with the message type change so long as the overall process exits
with an error.  Is this currently achieved by the patch?
Yes that will now happen with the patch, the cmake::displayMessage method will set the error occurred flag, though not the fatal flag, when a deprecation or author error message is displayed. In this case I think there are no issues I'm aware of with the proposed changes.

If there are any problems with the proposed changes let me know.

Cheers,
Michael