Hello!

I stopped taking Gleevec after 13 years. I had my checkups every month, but
only in the first year. In the second year every two months and from now on
every three months for the rest of my life.
It seems that everybody reacts in a different way. I myself had more
bonecramps after having stopped than while taking Gleevec; but after the
first year it gradually went better and now I have these cramps only a few
times per year during the night. The swallen eyelids completely disappeared
and unfortunately, my face became a lot thinner. Another side-effect: my
hair was not grey anymore after havinig stopped, it is still dark, which
was not the case before. After all I am glad that I took the decision, the
problems of the first year will disappear, so I strongly advise you to do
like I did.
Feel free to contact me for further information.
Greetings from the Netherlands - and let's be grateful that Gleevec
exisits!!

Rien

> After seventeen years on Gleevec, and considered "in remission," my
> oncologist asked me if I would like to stop taking Gleevec.
> At first glance, this sounded spectacular but then she said:
> "you'll have to come in once a month to be tested."
> After deep thought (about twenty seconds), I said, "Talk to me about this
> again in ten years."
> Has anyone else stopped taking Gleevec after years of being "in
> remission?"  If so, how's it going?
> What has changed in your life?  Have any of the obvious physical
> side-effects (leg cramps, blood in the whites of your eyes, swollen eyelids,
> abdominal fat) retreated or been reversed?
> I'd appreciate any information other CMLers might have.
> Best to all.
>
> --
> --
> [CMLHope]