Here are a few things to consider:
Examine the PHRF Ratings of your competition to see if they are simply faster
designs. http://www.phrfne.org/page/567
Using New England ratings, your boat, a C&C 37 (1984) rates 105
C&C 39, PHRF 102
C&C 38, PHRF 102
Sabre 36, PHRF 117
Tarten Ten, PHRF 126
You may have trouble beating the bigger boats, but you should stay ahead of the
Tarten 10 and the Sabre 36? If the smaller boats are catching you, it may be
due to their boat bottoms being smoother (burnished Baltiplate) or better
sails?

I find 12 knots is the threshold when all boats achieve hullspeed in all
directions and many boats reach faster than their PHRF ratings would imply. At
15 knots, older sails that can't be flattened, start creating more drag but are
less critical in reaching mode.

Barber hauling to the toe rail when reaching can open the slot and also steady
the clew so the sail flaps less, maintaining pressure and power in the sail. I
typically rig a snatchblock on the toerail and run a 30' length of 5/16" line
thru it with a caribiner on one end. The caribiner gets clipped to the clew
when used and clipped to the lifeline when not needed. The tail is brought back
to whichever winch is convenient. I rig these before leaving the dock. You have
to get your crew to see some success with the rig before they will accept
rigging them. To pull the sail out to the toerail, I clip on the caribiner thru
the clew and tension the line, easing the sheet, until I like the shape.
Sometimes I keep the tension on both or the sheet is eased completely and the
toe rail line takes the whole strain. The sheets remain tied to the clew, and
the barberhauler needs to be unclipped before tacking, and some crew do not
like having to remember this task.

Trimming the main to control heel : Your boat has a very short boom and I
wouldn't presume to know how to trim it for close reaching but would think it
plays a role in controlling heel, while your genoa is the real powerhouse? The
telltales on the main's leech should be streaming. The main trimmer may have to
play the traveller constantly to maintain heel and speed in gusts?

Boats with straighter waterlines like Tarten 10 seem faster when reaching than
boats with curved waterlines, IOR shape. Our boat is very different, but I
notice we excel in the lighter stuff 8 to 10 knots, especially upwind. Flat
water and 6 knots, we can generate our own wind when pointing while other boats
struggle. Clean bottom and good sails make a difference in these conditions.

Chuck
Resolute
1990 C&C 34R
Broad Creek, Magothy River, Md