One idea not mentioned yet, perhaps because it is too obvious, is constant
headsail adjustment, assuming the main is set properly.

When I am not close-hauled (upwind or reaching), I steer a course angle or
position on the horizon and have the head sail trimmer
CONSTANTLY adjusting the headsail for good shape in the puffs and lulls, tell
tales streaming, etc. using the boat speed as a measure of his success.

The headsail trimmer is really driving the boat with adjustments for the puffs
and lulls while the helmsman keeps the boat
going in a fixed direction. In 10-15 we would have our 'heavy #1' carbon up,
board fully down and be shooting for our hull speed of ~ 7+ knots.

Close reaching is definitely not a set it and forget it racing mode. For long
races, we have to switch the trimmer because the concentration and winch
trimming involved can be exhausting.

FWIW

Charlie Nelson
1995 C&C 36 XL/kcb