Typically I change Calypso’s diesel fuel filters annually or after +-100 hours.
 If I am setting out on a longer cruise and expecting to putting a lot of hours
on the auxiliary engine I will change the filters before leaving Seattle and
carry 2 filter changes with me.

Older tanks that have not been cleaned may let you get away with infrequent
filter changes right up until they don’t.  According to Murphy’s Law, filters
will plug on dark and stormy nights, not sunny and calm afternoons in sight of
a full service boatyard.

With a recently cleaned tank the risk of long term contamination building up is
reduced but diesel fuel tanks can build up an algae problem quickly.  I use an
anti-algae treatment and occasionally a cetane booster, especially if the fuel
in the tank is more than 6 months old.  There has been some recent debate on
whether it is better to keep the boat’s tank full to reduce air exposure and
resulting condensation.  Typically I top off Calypso’s tank at the end of the
racing season so it is mostly full over the winter. Calypso’s fuel tank has
been at less than ½ through the current deck restoration project.  When we
re-commission the boat I will be inspecting the tank to look for algae and
condensation build up.  I will not be surprised to find enough that a fuel
polishing/tank cleaning will be needed.

If I was preparing for a long offshore voyage I would install a dual fuel
filter manifold with a vacuum gauge.  The next upgrade would be the ability to
circulate the fuel through the filters in case I picked up some contaminated
fuel.  Next step after that is to add a day tank that only filtered fuel enters
and where the engine draws its fuel from.

I sailed a Transpac (1985) on a custom 52’ ULDB that would suffer from engine
stalls when the boat heeled or rolled.  The boat sailed much better than it
powered.  We were first to finish in class B, only being beat in by some of the
70 footers.  We crossed gybes with Merlin 400 miles out of Diamond Head.  Our
navigator won the Transpac Navigator’s trophy that year.  IIRC that summer of
sailing on that chartered boat was the most fun I have had with my clothes on.

The fuel starvation problem was fixed by adding a day tank on centerline above
the engine.  Each day several gallons of fuel would be transferred to the day
tank from the main tanks and all was well.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Seattle