Without a knot meter it can be very difficult to estimate the current.
This matters, particularly in situations where it is useful to know something
about the power being used to drive the boat.
GPS of course sees velocity over the ground, but the boat - and whatever is
driving it - experiences speed through the water.

I had occasion to proceed from Titusville to Ft. Lauderdale down the ICW on a
friend's boat with a dead speed log and no tachometer. As it happened, the wind
was against us the entire time and so we were powered by the diesel. Those of
you familiar with these waterways will know that there is a considerable
current generated by the tides in several places along the way. These currents
can reach 2 knots or more in some places, and predicting exactly where, when,
and how strong is educated guess work at best, even for those with local
knowledge, which we did not have. At one point on our trip, while bucking such
a current, it seemed to me that we were over working the engine since there was
steam coming out with the exhaust, but the owner insisted that we should be
able to make 5 knots (by GPS remember) no matter what. He was having some sort
of mental block, and flatly rejected my analysis of the situation. Anyway we
cooked the engine pretty good, the oil thinned out, the oil pressure dropped
and at that point he started to understand that something was wrong.

Long story short, this event led a lot of problems going forward, and if we had
had a working speed log the situation would have been clear to everyone
involved. By guess and by gosh is always a poor substitute for actual numbers.
A tach could also have helped in this particular case, and we later installed a
"Tiny Tach" that worked fine.

Steve Thomas
C&C27 MKIII