The basic electronics (b&g h1000 system) on Paws have been a challenge since I
first got her.  Intermittent failures at the start of each season.  Now depth
has failed and of all things it appears to be the transducer.  I'm debating
modernizing.  Please tell me if I'm crazy.  A little background:

Close hauled wind indicator is important to me (which I currently don't have)
The autopilot (B&G) is a thing of beauty and will be kept
There are two Furuno chart plotters running older Navionics charts. Frankly I
use the iPad almost exclusively now (nobeltec ap and visual tides being my
preference)
AIS is important to me sailing in NY harbor - also off an iPad ap but would
consider upgrading
I couldn't care less about any interface between chart plotter and auto pilot
and/or wind
The boat does have radar which is never used for our current sailing.  Offshore
would be a different story and we do do plan another offshore run
(Bermuda/Caribbean, etc)

So here's what I'm thinking.

Ray i50/60/70 instruments as a stand alone installation
Existing auto pilot remains as a stand alone unit
Replace existing Furuno radar dome with the PC version with built in wi-if
(works with Nobeltec iPad ap)
Perhaps add a wireless router
Add new Ray GPS head for a multifunction display; use iPad GPS for chart
plotter through ap
I wouldn't install a knot meter - Gps is fine

Any thoughts on the reliability of wifi offshore?  I would think it's fine but
would love to hear opinions.

All of this could be done for about 4k less whatever I can sell the old
equipment for on eBay.  Feel free to tell me I'm nuts.  Keep in mind we do have
limited offshore runs in the future.

Opinions welcome

John

Sent from my iPad