Gary,

I believe the list has addressed this before but I'll throw it out there
again.

A freewheeling prop has less resistance than a fixed one.  There are a few
assumptions being make in that statement.
*Fixed blade prop
*No shaft driven generator/alternator.

The navy does it regularly.  As a throttleman onboard an aircraft carrier
with 4 shafts, I can tell you, a trailing shaft always required less
compensation than a fixed shaft.  The only reason we ever stopped the shaft
was to do maintenance/repairs on the main engine or because of a shaft seal
failure.  The emergency shaft seal would be ruptured if the shaft was
allowed to spin.

As for our boats with featuring/folding props you have to stop the shaft in
order to allow the prop to feather/fold.  As others have mentioned you may
have to shift into reverse to feather the prop.  Staying in reverse ensures
that the prop doesn't "re-feather" and start spinning again.  Pretty
unlikely.  I occasionally forget to shift into neutral when starting...
Oops!

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD
On Jun 8, 2016 9:48 AM, "Tom Buscaglia via CnC-List" <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

> Aside from drag, I don't see what harm having it is neutral could do to
> the mechanical systems.  That said, if I recall correctly, the MarTec prop
> folks suggest putting it in reverse temporarily to rotate the prop blades
> into a neutral position...but that could just be something I imagined.
>
> Tom Buscaglia
> S/V Alera
> 1990 C&C 37+/40
> Vashon WA
> P 206.463.9200
>

> > On Jun 8, 2016, at 9:06 AM, cnc-list-requ...@cnc-list.com wrote:
> >
> > Message: 6
> > Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 09:05:42 -0400
> > From: David Knecht <davidakne...@gmail.com>
> > To: CnC CnC discussion list <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
> > Subject: Re: Stus-List Transmission in forward or reverse while
> >    sailing?
> >
> > Mine recommends reverse but also says the transmission will be damaged
> if left in forward.  Not sure why.  Dave
> >
> >> On Jun 8, 2016, at 7:16 AM, Gary Russell via CnC-List <
> cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> The answer may depend on what make of transmission you have, but my
> Hurth transmission recommends reverse.  If your prop is spinning in
> forward, I would suggest that is not good.  I would recommend reverse.
> Some transmission, I'm told, have the oil pump on the input shaft, so there
> is no lubrication when the engine is stopped.  That's one reason you want
> to make sure the prop is not free-wheeling.  The other reason, of course,
> is drag.
> >>
> >> Gary
> >> S/V Kaylarah
> >> '90 C&C 37+
> >> East Greenwich, RI, USA

> like what we do, please help us pay for our costs by donating. All
> Contributions are greatly appreciated!

greatly appreciated!