I’ll second Chuck’s suggestion. On the 37 (somewhat similar to the 40) there
are deck scupper channels that drain to hoses which go to each cockpit scupper
drain. I’ve had issues in the past with the hoses giving up and dumping water
into the port quarter berth and the starboard cockpit locker.

FWIW, I considered glassing the channels in during the refit. They are a “great
in theory, terrible in practice” item from my experience on the 37. The hoses
didn’t drain well and stagnant water always stood in the channels. I left them
and will install shut-off valves for future use for rain-water collection to
the FW tanks if needed. The original drain hoses to the scupper drains will not
be routed to the cockpit scupper through-hulls.

Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - Ronin
Reedville - Chesapeake Bay
Ronin’s Overdue Refit <http://roninrebuild.blogspot.com/>