From: RANDY <randy.staff...@comcast.net>
To: cnc-list <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 18:10:27 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: Stus-List Buckled Topsides at the Chainplates (was Re: Brokers
and surveyors)
I imagine a proper "repair" would be a major surgery, involving removing
the hanging knee, cutting the dimpled section out of the topsides,
rebuilding that section of the topsides to the original curvature and
thickness and integrating the rebuilt section with the rest of the local
topsides, and rebuilding or re-bonding the hanging knee.  I don't even know
if that operation is possible, and it's more than I would want to take on
myself, or even pay an expert to do, if it's not really necessary because
the integrity of the boat is not compromised by the dimple.

Earlier in the thread Mike Hoyt said "he [Dana, the boatbuilder / marina
founder] normally had to fill these dimples".  I interpreted "fill" to mean
more of a cosmetic fix than a full-blown repair as imagined above.

That said, whenever I get around to "fixing" my boat's dimple, I will
probably follow Don Casey's prescriptions in his Complete Illustrated
Sailboat Maintenance Manual for laminate repair (pp. 204-217) and hull
repairs (pp. 232-237) to do the job.  In other words I would probably try
to build up some additional fiberglass and epoxy laminate outside the
dimple, instead of just filling and fairing the depression.

Cheers,
Randy