From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Bruce
Whitmore via CnC-List
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2017 9:09 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Bruce Whitmore
Subject: Re: Stus-List wheel squeak

If your wheel is stiff and you've lubed everything, then I would strongly
suspect a bent rudder shaft, and since it has been stiff since you bought the
boat, you're unfortunately in a position where you don't know all the past
history.

I had a friend who's wife was motoring and didn't realize there was a line of
pilings in the water (they were not well marked).  She got the keel and rudder
in between the line and couldn't get out.  It bent the rudder, but not so bad
that it couldn't be turned.

In the end, the insurance replaced the rudder and that solved the problem.

In your particular case, if you can determine the point and extent of the bend,
you can probably find a heavy-duty machine shop with a hydraulic press that can
straighten the shaft.

Sorry for the less than stellar news,

Bruce Whitmore

(847) 404-5092 (mobile)