I'm sure one could buy the individual components to make up a chain/wire
steering kit at an industrial supply place like Grainger.  I'd still use
Edson's data sheets to reference the proper length and diameter 7 by 19
stainless wire, the right size SS chain (#50 usually), the nicopress fittings
to connect the wire to chain, the proper clevis fitting at the chain end, and
the right size wire rope clamps to use at the take up eye at the quadrant.  If
you can buy each component piecemeal, there may be some savings.  But if you
need to buy a nicopress tool, 50' of wire, 10 packs of nicopress fittings and
10' of chain, you may not save much.
If it makes sense to buy at a discount, Defender and West Marine both offer
Edson steering chain/cable kits in their store selection.
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 35 Landfall
Padanaram,MA