Hola Scott.

I am getting ready to do the same thing on my boat for the second time. It’s a
1982 vintage 37’ which has four ports as opposed to two like yours.

I replaced the originals around 1998 and have these observations:

1.)     I took the originals into a shop that re-created the originals, right
down to the tint.

2.) Per their advice I used silicone to attach and seal the new ports. I will
_never_ do that again.

3.) As far as tint is concerned, don’t make it too difficult; go with any shade
that you are comfortable with.

What’s going on now:
I just dropped off my second set of ports off to be duplicated. I took their
recommendation on tint color (“it’s what everyone uses...”). No matter what
shade you use, it will not mask the difference between the rim and the opening.
You will see through it. If you are using silicone...

They recommended silicone yet again. I ignored that. I will use VHB this time
around. Silicone to “finish” the gap per Boatworks example.

I will be picking the new ports up at the end of this month (I’m currently in
Punta del Este, UR) and then I will install them. The ambient temperatures in
my area will be in the low fifties to high forties Fahrenheit. I have no
concerns about temperature.

I would not worry about “curvature” issues. That was not a problem the first
time I did the job.

As far as finishing the fiberglass surround after hacking out the Plexus, I
have no words of wisdom. I am totally rebuilding my boat and the port openings
have been completely repaired and painted. You might want to use some Awlfair
to smooth the surface and then paint it. The VHB seems to be a fairly good
masking background from the examples I have seen. If you want to see pictures,
Google “Ronin Rebuild”.

IMHO, do not even think about drilling holes or using screws.

Keep it simple. ;-)

Cheers,
Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - “Ronin”