AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.

On 2018-02-18 3:17 PM, Marek Dziedzic via CnC-List wrote:

The only reason for water dripping is to lubricate (and cool) the seal/shaft interface. However, the PTFE packing has low enough friction that you  don’t need to lubricate. Hence, no need for dripping water.

Btw. the main difference between the normal shaft seal (regardless of packing) and the dripless (e.g. PIY) is that in the former the seal is beaten the shaft and the packing box and in the latter it is between two faces of the seal (the shaft does not participate in this seal). Having said this, I don’t think your PTFE packing would score the shaft in any reasonable time. When it does you may have other reasons to replace the shaft, anyway.

Marek