Hi James

We used to own a J Boat (J/27) and it was very routine to replace deck core.
We previously had a Hinterhoeller built and designed Niagara 26 where we had to
recore large areas around both chainplates and most of the cockpit floor.  The
J27 also had no headliner which did indeed make work easier.

We did all of the work from above.  If doing from below you would likely wish
to use a vacuum bagging system and need a lot of supports to hold everything in
place.  From above gravity is your friend.   The Niagara had a painted deck
which we had repainted with Interlux Interthane Plus (possibly now Perfection)
which is a 2 part paint similar to Awlgrip.  Amy rep[airs we could use Interlux
Brightside which had a perfect color match and was easy to apply and blended in
perfectly.  The J-Boat had a gray non-skid on white deck in sections so was
very easy to color match as I simply painted the entire deck with Interdeck
grey.

Since the decks were either to be painted or already painted U cut out topskin
and chiseled out the core.  Make sure you get out all the wet core.  Then
layers of cloth using Epoxy or polyester (your choice), core material and then
thickened polyester or epoxy (usually epoxy by this point) with West 407
sandable filler or similar.  Lots of sanding and checking to ensure deck was
level and had no low or high spots and then prime and paint using Interdeck (or
you could use Kiwi-grip).

A friend also with a J/27 popped off a section of the topskin to top the job
from above and then reused that section afterward.  The upside of this method
is matching nonskid while the downside is possibility of trapped air bubbles.

Replacing deck core is actually a fairly simple process and the end result can
be quite satisfying.  On the J-boat we had to do this in 14 sections where the
deck had been wet or even rotted (around 4 stanchion bases, 2 chainplates, bow
pulpit feet, dorade on bow, cockpit seats in 4 areas, under primary winch on
stbd and under genoa track on stbd).  I phot-documented the process but our web
site has been down since we switched internet providers over the winter.  I
could send photos off line if you are interested.

Note that for a Kevlar construction you should research what to use for this
repair.  I suspect epoxy may bond but doubt polyester would.  You may also find
other alternatives.

Mike
Persistence
1987 Frers 33 #16