Properly torquing the keel bolts eliminates the side to side motion (at least
it did on my 38) and the nuts stay tight. The glass is primarily cosmetic.

My 38 had the keel dropped and rebedded in 2004 after a hard grounding. The
insurance company felt the smile was a result of that. I also shortened the
keel and added a torpedo bulb at that time. I don't really know what the yard
did about torquing the nuts properly.

There was a bit of smile during a refit in 2009, so I retorqued the bolts
myself and did the cosmetic repair on the smile.

During the last haul and bottom paint (and having the boat painted) in 2017,
there was no smile evident.

Rick Brass
Washington, NC

Sent from my iPad