Shawn:

I purchased, new, a 1979 Ericson 2-30, and sailed and raced her for
twenty-five years. I never had a problem with the keel, and the bilge was
bone dry. I seem to recall that the keel bolts were J bolts. I have never
heard of an Ericson keel falling off. The only problem I had with the boat
was the way the shrouds were bonded to the hull. The tabs on the chain
plates were too small, causing the hull to "oil can" (dimples in the hull
around the chain plates). Whoever bonded the chain plates to the hull,
didn't use enough resin. (Some of the glass mat was not saturated with
resin.) Ericson sent me a retrofit kit which extended the chain plates and
the extensions had longer tabs. I did the work myself, and I didn't have
any further problems. The last I heard, the boat is still sailing in the
Portland area. As an aside, there's an Ericson 30+ listed for sale on
Yachtworld.com for $16,500.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC