Hello all,

After another 4 months of boat searching, I am once again considering the
35-2 "Callisto" which began this old thread from January. I have been
thinking about it, and when I saw it at the dock while looking at another
boat (Crown 28, yes I am getting desperate...), I realized I had forgotten
how nice looking the boat is. It still has a for sale sign, and I am
waiting to hear back from the owner. I think at 34K he was asking far too
much, but at 20K I could overlook some of the not quite up to my standards
work done on it. I will get a survey for sure if he gets back to me, and we
can agree on a price.
Since looking at this boat, I started getting interested in Ericsons, and
really liked the idea of the encapsulated keels on their 70s models. We
almost bought a 29. But I am realizing that my fear of keel bolts is
probably unwarranted, and even Ericson went with bolt on keels by the 80s,
and none of them fell off. I hear people talk about replacing keel bolts,
but I assume they mean just the nuts, which doesn't seem to make a lot of
sense, since the crevice corrosion is likely to a problem with the
bolt/stud. Are the bolts J bolts like concrete anchors, or just threaded
rod set into lead? I imagine replacing a J bolt would be a huge job. Is
replacing them ever actually done? Could you just drill, tap, and thread in
new stainless rod in between the original bolts for extra safety? Or am I
worrying too much about a mostly non-issue? It's just that most bolt on
keel boats I've looked at have water in the bilge meaning the bolts/nuts
will stay wet most of the time (probably mainly rainwater/condensation I
guess), so it seems like I should be concerned.

It's interesting also that after a lot of discussion with the Ericson guys
(also a great group of owners, like this group), one of the features of the
newer Ericson designs which improves comfort is the flared bow (the 80s
models), something which the C&C 35-2 also has. Walking up to this 35-2 a
few days ago just reminded me why I was so attracted to it originally. Yes,
there are a few things I would do differently, but it's basically ready to
sail, as is.