In the late 70’s early 80’s some C&C owners here were lengthening their
rudders, there is a fellow here who interned at C&C in the early 70’s who
designed the modified rudders.  I did two modifications using the existing
shafts, and one from scratch, but not the fiberglass. The ribs were 11 Gauge SS
in the shape of the rudder, and a 1” X 1/8” strap wrapped around that, and
welded to the shape, making like a T section. I then layed it flat on some
cardboard and poured foam over it, and they just sanded it down to the ribs
using a long sandpapered 2X4.  And then someone fiber glassed them.

My boat was owned by an older fellow at the time, and he sent it with the local
designers sketch to Bruckmans, and they did the rudder.

Fast forward 10 years, and I own the boat for a year and haul the boat in the
fall with half the rudders fiberglass missing .  I brought it back to the shop
and made a 14 gauge SS rudder, 30 or 40 pounds lighter, and still bone dry
today.

So, there are many options.

Bill Coleman

C&C 39 Erie, PA