Dave,
When an engine overheats, lubricants can’t provide the protection they are
designed for and parts will wear at an accelerated rate, specifically pistons
and rings.  When that occurs, you tend to lose compression which results in a
hard starting condition.  This will also usually lead to some oil consumption
that is manifested in the form of a grayish smoke.  Low compression can
additionally create low power and incomplete combustion which results in poor
fuel economy and black smoke.  If your engine is a 4 stroke model, check your
valve clearances as those can change with an overheating event.  If you have
access to a compression gauge with the proper threaded adapter for you plug
size, you can compare cold compression readings with what is recommended in the
manual to determine any top end damage.
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
83 35 Landfall