If a picture is worth a thousand words, what is a video worth?

First off, before I forget, where on earth did you get that handsome SS
Transmission flange? That is sweet!

And you mention the PO may have replaced the log with longer, how do you
replace that? Isn’t that a basic part of the structure? As far as the length, I
do think it is too long. I think you could lose a couple inches off that with
no problem.  But as long as we have professional mentoring on the list, I would
be curious to hear what Rob thinks, but I would think a few inches should be
more than enough. It the thing is too long, you end up having a lot of leverage
on it,  and if the shaft were wobbly, which could stress it. Plus it gives the
hose more flexibility.

You mention that you fine-tuned the alignment, but that the shaft is not
perfectly aligned in the log – When I replaced my engine in 2007, I aligned the
shaft it so it exited the log perfectly from the outside, and was centered in
the log.  Then I adjusted the engine to fit, so the flange and the tranny
flange were within a couple thousands with a feeler gauge.

I see what you mean with the bolts, I also installed one of those, but forgot
the bolts go both ways. A couple inches off the log should give you the
clearance you need, no?

Curious to see how you like it after the PYI.  In maybe 18 years, I had zero
problems with my PYI, and I never burped it, but maybe once or twice.  But in
my latest boat I am now thinking of replacing the existing PYI.  On launching
last week, I burped it, and went about taking it over to the dock, and noticed
my perfectly dry bilge filling up with water.  Long story short, after 45
minutes of sucking water out, and looking for the leak around all the through
hulls and hoses, I finally found it leaking pretty good around the carbon and
SS seal on the shaft – Must have gotten some crap in between the mating
surfaces  during burping.  It took a bunch more burping and wiggling around to
get it to stop.

It was a little unnerving, to say the least.

So there is likely to be a Last Drop in my future as well.

Bill Coleman

Erie PA