So from PYI (R&D Marine) the pre-drilled port is for finishing by drilling
and tapping for a set screw/lock bolt if the coupler does not have a
keyway.  In my case, I asked for the online seller to add a keyway so the
pre-drilled hole serves no purpose.  In smaller shafts they may not even
advise the lock bolt or key.  You can see the hole in this picture.
  download.jpeg
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fyr_C_h8W7ivd7UgJtOmmgpsxdKZdAHy/view?usp=drivesdk>

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk