From: Joel Delamirande via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2023 1:31 PM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Joel Delamirande <joel.delamira...@gmail.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Stus-List Re: winter storage

If someone wants a mast there one on Kijiji for sale
And there a salvage yard that cut them up because there no room for to store
them
He get lots of cnc

On Sat, Oct 28, 2023 at 6:45 PM Bill Coleman via CnC-List
As Matt mentioned, after a couple boats blew over at our club, they came out
with an edict that any boats with masts up will have to be on a cradle.  That
is not to say that a boat can't blow over in a cradle, there are tons of poorly
designed cradles, or poorly maintained cradles around.  I have made several
over the years, and just this fall got roped into revamping a Catalina 36
cradle. He gave me the original drawings for the cradle, I couldn't believe it
was an original design by Catalina - the whole thing, even the longitudinal
stringers were only 4" channel, which, after being picked up by the ends, which
is how they move cradles here, it sagged down about 6". So it got two new 8" I
beams longitudinally and two crosswise under the keel. I would have made it
more than 8 feet wide, but the dockmaster told me it couldn't be more than
that. The point here, I guess is to get a good cradle.  There are a few down at
our club that are an amazing design. They are made by Viking Trailers,  in
Butler, PA,  Unfortunately , they don't  have any pictures on their site of
them, if anyone is interested I can send a picture. There are four uprights per
side, all adjustable in, out, and up, and also have fold down flaps to
stabilize it up to 12' wide.  Really well thought out.

Bill Coleman
Erie PA Entrada

On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 10:19 AM Hoyt, Mike via CnC-List
Re mast up.  A friend stored his C&C 33-2 with mast up and it blew over in a
winter storm.  He now has no mast.

With mast down possibly the reduced windage would have prevented the boat from
blowing over but certainly would have not resulted in a mast broken in three
areas.  The boat was on a cradle.

Food for thought

Mike Hoyt
Persistence