From: Nathan Post via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2023 8:52 AM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Nathan Post <nathan8...@gmail.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: chain plate rebed ahead

I second using Butyl tape - particularly the Bed-it brand. Not sure exactly
what your chain plates look like. I resealed my chainplates on my 34 with
bed-it in 2020 following recoring the deck in that region and haven't had any
leaking since. I suggest making an angled (e.g. 45 deg) cut in the fiberglass
around the chain plate on the top of the deck if there isn't one already so
that the bed it tape will have some thickness between the fiberglass and the
chain plate. Clean the surfaces with acetone or alcohol. Roll a bead of tape
and push it in as hard as you can - and add enough so it is sticking up a bit.
Then press down the little plate that holds that in place (with a single layer
of bedit tape under it) and screw in place gently.  Come back and tighten the
screws slowly over the course of a few days so that the tape has time to flow.
Clean up excess tape around the outside using a sharp knife to cut it around
the edge of the metal plate.

Nathan

1981 C&C34

Thanks for your help.