> On Dec 1, 2016, at 11:20 AM, Alastair Houghton <alast...@alastairs-place.net>
> wrote:
>
> On 1 Dec 2016, at 19:05, Doug Hill <cocoa...@breaqz.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just made another breakthrough. I finally figured out why we have the
>> vertically centerd colon (I’ll now call it VCC) by default but has
>> requirements of numbers on either side of the colon.
>> The SF font setting is “Contextual Alternatives” (I’ll now call it CA). When
>> CA is on, it will use the logic of numbers on either side of a colon to get
>> VCC. Turning off CA turns off this logic and no VCC. But even if CA is on,
>> and you have a character stream that isn’t <number>:<number>, you can turn
>> on VCC explicitly with it’s own selector to get that behavior.
>>
>> Other than VCC I’m not sure what other contextual alternatives there are.
>> Fractions didn’t seem to do anything differently.
>
> I think we’ve headed off topic somewhat, so this is likely my final word on
> the subject.  Contextual alternates’ usual abbreviation is “calt” (which is
> its OpenType tag).  It might also, at this point, be worth pointing you at
> the OpenType specification
>
>  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Typography/OpenTypeSpecification.aspx
>
> and in particular the registered features page:
>
>  https://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/featurelist.htm
>
> The pages on advanced layout may also be informative.

Thanks for the info!

At this point, I think we figured out the original VCC bug, and I was able to
document a number of SF font features and how to easily use them. I hope this
has some value to the developer community; at the very least Google searches
will now bring up info about these features.
Going forward, I personally hope I don’t have to do a deep dive into the
OpenType spec everytime I want to use cool features of San Francisco. ;)

Thanks again everyone.

Doug Hil