Your report is interesting. I have been following it but may have missed a
part of the discussion, so here is one
thought I had. You say that getting the display name of ~/Documents may
result in a delay. This is localizable, so
that in Portugal (for example) the display name is Documentos. So here are
thoughts
1. I wonder if your tests are in a non-English language system.
2. I wonder if in an English language system there is a fast path that
tells the system to bypass localization tests.
3. I wonder if the other testers who could not reproduce this were using an
English language system.
I observe that the internet says (so it must be true) that the test for
localized folders is a hidden file in the folder
called ".localized". To check for this in any obvious way is going to need
read access to the folder, and hence may
trigger security checking.