On 23 Apr 2020, at 21:15, Rob Petrovec wrote:

If what you say is correct then everyone would be seeing a delay since most people don’t have blazing fast internet connections. I do not think this is the normal behavior.

Please try run this in a terminal and report the times:

rm -f /tmp/test.sh && echo $'#!/bin/sh\necho hello' > /tmp/test.sh && chmod a+x /tmp/test.sh && time /tmp/test.sh && time /tmp/test.sh

For this particular issue, it appears the lookup is cached by inode, so only first run should take > 50ms, where second one would be < 5ms.

Then maybe also try it with Apple’s Network Link Conditioner and set it to simulate lousy internet, and try it also with WiFi disabled.

I have seen the issue on multiple systems, so I do not think this is limited to my system, but more data would be great.

Sending an email to a developer mailing list doesn’t count. Just sayin’...

My email was to ask for help, i.e. whether others have seen this issue, can reproduce, have any idea what could cause this, etc.

Of course I am aware that this is not a place to report bugs to Apple…

btw: today I took the drastic step of disabling SIP: My system now feels *much* better. Maybe some of the delays are bugs, but I’m quite sure the execve() issue is by design, it’s just a pretty developer unfriendly design, because the caching only lasts until the next rebuild, or incase of a script, the next (atomic) save, or incase of dynamically created helper scripts: no caching.