On 20 Apr 2020, at 0:11, Allan Odgaard via Cocoa-dev wrote:

Unfortunately though I can’t figure out *what* the problem is; running `tccutil reset All` (and rebooting) did not fix it.

It appears the problem is not with a local service, but that Apple actually “phones home” when a program asks for display name.

I don’t know if this is common knowledge, but with notarization, Apple now validates executables on your system before they are executed, and it does so in calls like execve(), where it will actually stall execution, contact Apple’s servers, and then proceed once the executable got validated.

I *thought* this was the only place it did it, and that the result got cached (based on inode).

But it seems Apple added this to other places, because since I have upgraded to macOS 10.15, I see *many* delays.

This is because I am currently in South East Asia where the connection to Apple’s servers is not good.

For example I have a script that takes a video file as argument, it launches VLC with this video file, and then deletes the file when VLC terminates.

It can take more than 5 seconds just until VLC is launched, and then VLC will be “thinking” for another 5 seconds, before the video actually starts.

Today the delays were extra bad, so it was easy to reproduce the VLC issue, obtaining display name (which today took 7 seconds for 3 names), and a few other things.

Now, if I disable internet, no delays at all!!!

Enable it again, and all the delays are back.

It is so utterly frustrating that Apple is not only going down this path of locking down our machines, but they do it in ways that are so crippling for our productivity :(