I have a multiple platform application (Windows, Mac, GTK) that is
primarily organized using C++ with Objective-C used for the
Mac-specific interface. I recently switched to use ARC (as we are
using Scintilla which recently switched to ARC). However, I am
getting a zombied release of an NSWindow instance. So far as I
can tell, the memory handling of this seemed to be fine pre-ARC.
Unfortunately, because it's an NSWindow, the Instruments output
for it has 100's of toolbox calls, so it's very hard to tell where the
extra release is. What should I be looking for?

Just to describe this, there's an EWindow C++ structure which has
the NSWindow * as a member (under Mac OS; it's an HWND under
Windows and Widget under GTK). It's after the delete of the
EWindow that things go south. I'm assuming that ARC is putting in a
release, but I haven't really seen any good description of how ARC
interacts with C++. A release there seems fine---the question is
where is the earlier (apparently erroneous) release.

Tom Doan
Estima
---
2717 Harrison St