Try to follow the instructions at the following page I just created:

http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=CreateMinimalWebapp

Ignore the comments obviously geared at making this part of the build (and
possibly part of the release.)

You'll need a source distribution of Cocoon 2.0.4, which I know is not what
you wanted but this is where things are now.

Following that, you should be able to get a hello world up and running based
on the existing documentation within an hour at least, and you could be
writing your own Generators tonight if you follow the tutorial I already
sent you a link to.

Geoff Howard