we use the same cocoon instance to serve up to 10 web sites using sub site
map for each one on a PII 650 Linux server with 128MB ram (an upgrade is
now in progress)

the only problem we have is with warpConnection
now we consider to leave warp solution for mod proxy
to have apache at front

i think that multiple cocoon instances will cause more load to our box
than
one with multiple sub-sitemaps

--stavros