On 20/10/2003, at 04:43, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

Well, the threads on this and other similar topics showed that the
majority
of our community has a completely different point of view when it comes
to information reception.

Compared to whom? To you, me or Tetsuyo?

EVERYBODY HAS HIS/HER OWN PREFERENCE. PERIOD.

Personally, I agree with "the one who does the work get the call for the
format".

Yep, as long as the intended audience isn't choking. IMHO the subscribers
should be taken into account.

In case of the announce(at)apache.org list we're speaking of at least
8304
subscribers (!). Considering the recent discussions, I'm really
wondering
how many of them feel annoyed, disturbed or overwhelmed.

less than a percent for all three of them together is my guess. I have some regional interest groups newsletters that send out more announcements per week than the ASF in a month.

Pure speculation... and it isn't *YOU*, it's the 8304 subscribes :)

I think what David and others (including me) wanted to suggest is to go
the
way of least astonishment/frustration: we know that everybody has
his/her
own preferences so why don't we just go with a pull-model instead of
pushing
the *whole content* onto some list of subscribers? Why not just
*announce*

Any by trying to build "an ideal world for yourself", you basically
killed whatever enthusiasm or dedication Tetsuya showed. Because you
offered no support or at least positive feedback but only "we don't like
this format, this way of posting, this content, change it". I'd be
frustrated, too.

No, I didn't offer support and I didn't provide positive feedback and I
didn't ask him politely to please, please fix the XHTML issues with the
nice, nice newsletter. Well, I don't know where you got the impression that
"I don't like this format, this way of posting, this content, change it".
This is insulting, please stop it!

If you have to wonder about feeding your child (oh, the crocodile-teared
argument of the caring firstworlder. Cry me a river), you don't read
apache-announce. If you use a 14,4k modem, you don't subscribe to
linux-kernel. Unfair? Yes. Not compatible with the "one world, global
world" theory? Yes. Reality? Yes. End of story.

Okay, I won't reply to this. It's way OT and we won't agree here in years ;)

Else, everyone would have to agree on the "lowest common denominator"
and we would be back to square one, 7-bit ASCII. 16 MB memory. 640x480x8
bit displays. Sorry, I've outgrown this for some years.

So, why don't we publish our webpages in PDF and Flash then? Some people
here are choking about too long URLs in emails... but that's another story.

H*ll, I get about 6000 mails per day. It's the job of a robot to make
sure that I won't get swamped in these but the most interesting /
urgent
/ personal get filed in the right folders. If you try to keep up with
80ies methods (only send me small, non-html, right-marked, stamped and
adressed mail), you might want to consider using a fax. Or become a
road kill on the information highway. ;-)

<ironic-mode> Hmmm, well, i like this approach. Can we please close-down all apache.org mailing lists and instead have just one big uber-list, perhaps with a HTML-requirement and 10k footers explaining the ASF? Hey, it's pretty easy to filter out the important messages, so why don't you just setup your MUA correctly??? </ironic-mode>

Why ironic? This is reality. Personally, I don't understand the people
that have bazillions of mail addresses and read them all the time. I
have _one_ mail box, _one_ mail address and a filter which does all the
rest. I do channel all the mailing lists I'm subscribed to onto a single
address, so there is no need to talk about "irony". I works exactly as
you describe. I'd say such a meta-list wouldn't have much more traffic
than linux-kernel.

Again, you're talking about your own personal preference.

(BTW: As a german you should at least write Über,
because you know the word roots and have the key for the umlaut. And as
a politically correct geman, you should despise the notions of using
this (it does stem from Übermensch and its related ideology (which
ironically comes from Nietsche ;-) )).

Oh, come on... now we're getting really deep into the mis-communication business.

If I don't like HTML, I drop the mail. If I'm interested in the content,
I either pipe it through a filter or use a html capable client.

If I don't want to see 10k signatures, I use a filter.

Again, personal preference... but I understand... seems I'm not capable of
diggin' through the muddy waters of the net, so perhaps I should resign?

Cheers,
Erik