On 20/10/2003, at 04:44, Rob Oxspring wrote:

we know that everybody has
his/her own preferences

Again I would have thought that most of us are grown up enough to realise
that.

Therefore I wrote '... we [the ASF community] know ...' :)

so why don't we just go with a pull-model instead of
pushing
the *whole content* onto some list of subscribers?

Now just hold on here. How do you get to the assumption that the pull-model
is the solution? Can't people's preferences include the push-model too?

I didn't claim it's perfect or *the* solution. It's just a way to avoid
frustration, nothing more. Simply 'get the stuff or forget it' instead of
'here is the stuff, now eat (or discard) it'.

Why not just *announce*
the availability of the newsletter? Do we really have to dump it to some
list? And, if we have to, why can't this be a dedicated list?

And now we get back to common sense. Using a dedicated list for the full
contents and a preceding announcement on the announce@ list lets the readers
exercise their preference perfectly. Those who don't like 100k emails
don't have to take them, and those that like to read offline can do so at
their leisure. Note that this approach could equally coexist with the
suggested RSS solution, although the RSS proponents should step forward to
organise this if they want it.

Yes, that's exactly what I intended to say, but I'll will shut up now since
it looks like this doesn't make much sense for anyone...

Cheers,
Erik