I'd like to add to Bertrand's list:

4) Users logging a Jira bug to ask a technical question.

It looks like a variant of #2 ('The "wrong list" syndrome') but has the added annoyance that activity is sent to the project dev list, to which the issue submitter may not be subscribed. Indeed the issue submitter might not even be on the project user list.

Are other projects encountering this? Is there a way to modify project-specific Jira pages to add a notice "To ask a technical question, please post to ${project}-user@ "? (Maybe I need to be reading a jira faq -- *ouch*).

 -jean