> For the older operating systems (pre 7.6?) one needed a utility
> usually included with the disk formatting software, in order to set
> which partition to boot from.

I'm playing around with a couple different OS's: 7.0.1, 8.1, and A/UX.
 I can use the startup disk control panel to switch between two
different physical drives with no problem, but I cannot isolate one
bootable partition within a physical drive.  Each partition only has
one system folder present that is blessed.  System Picker doesn't show
any selectable system folders in the pull-down menu even though all
the system folders are in the root of their respective partitions.  I
have seen System Picker work under emulation on my PC.

A workaround I've been using is to put a folder within the system
folder to hide the finder in for all the partitions except the one
that I want to boot.  I was hoping that there is a more elegant
solution to picking a boot partition. Could the problem be caused by
how the drive is formatted or the disk driver?