I have never used a take apart tool. Here's how I've
done it for years:

1. Get a long-shafted Torx T-15 screwdriver. Sears had
these two years ago and probably still have them. The
one I bought then is a Craftsman Professional...it has
a plastic handle that is black. Sets you back about
eight bucks, which is less than that tool from eBay.

2. Put the Mac face down on a towel so you don't
scratch it. There are two screws under the handle
(that can only be reached with the long-shaft Torx)
and two at the base near the ports. On a Plus or
earlier, there is also one under the battery cover.

3. Push hard on one of the ports (I use SCSI unless
it's a pre-Plus, in which case it's the disk drive
port) to get the seperation started. Some Macs seem to
come apart better than others. Gently pull toward the
top of the Mac as well, seperating the back from the
bezel.

4. Eventually the case will come off. Some cases come
off really naturally while others kind of pop
dramatically.

5. Be careful with that CRT. There are instructions
online about how to discharge that sucker. On most SEs
(those without the old squirrel cage fan on the analog
board) and all Classics, the CRT is already
discharged. Early SEs and all Pluses and earlier Macs
need a discharge.

6. As far as your Plus, have you tried different
startup disks? I'm hoping it's just
software-realated...

Scott