But of course, it's not the size of the win that counts, it is rather
the confidence that it really is a win.  In random playouts that
continue from a position from a close game, the ones that result in a
large victory are generally only ones where the opponent made a severe
blunder.  (Put another way, the score of the game is affected more by
how bad the bad moves are, rather than how good the good ones are, or
even how good most of the moves are.  Others have commented on this
effect in this list, in other contexts.)  Since you can't count on
that happening in the real game, these simulations have a lower value
in the context of ensuring a win.

Even when the program is losing (say by a little bit) it is more
important to play moves that it thinks are the most likely to convert
the game to a win by confusing the opponent, rather than to play moves
that will make the losing outcome more apparent.  These tend to be
different moves, and Monte Carlo methods are good at uncovering these
differences.  I agree that this is a bit surprising, but I find it
much less so when I think about it in these terms.

Given that people have reported such a strong effect, I am actually
wondering if these simulations (those that result in a large score
difference) should be _penalized_, for not being properly
representative of the likely outcome of the game.  In other words:

value = 1000 * win - score

Weston