Somewhere online, I played a game on a torus, against someone's Java
applet that has this option.  I seem to recall playing a normal game
at either 9x9 or 13x13, and then a game on the same-sized torus.  I
recall the first game as being somewhat challenging to me, (a
beginner) and the second game to be somewhat hard to visualize, but
quite easy to beat the computer opponent.  Of course, it is possible
that my experience in the first game helped me significantly in the
second one, so it doesn't mean much.  However, I was puzzled at the
time because I had expected my inability to visualize the interactions
across the edge of the board to be a huge handicap, relative to a
program that presumably has no such difficulty.

Weston